Question: How do I apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)?
- The best way for you to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit is online at: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
- However, if you do not have online access, you can apply for the Benefit using the toll-free number 1-833-966-2099.
Under what circumstances can I apply?
- The Canada Emergency Response Benefit is available to those who stop working for reasons related to COVID-19, for example:
- You have lost your job;
- You are in quarantine or sick due to COVID-19;
- You are taking care of others because they are in quarantine or sick due to COVID-19; and/or
- You are taking care of children or other dependents because their care facility is closed due to COVID-19.
- There may be other reasons related to COVID-19 beyond these examples why you may have stopped working. However, you cannot voluntarily quit your job.
- Alternatively, you can apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit if:
- You are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits; or
- You are a former Employment Insurance claimant who used up your entitlement to your Employment Insurance regular or fishing benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020.
- To get the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you may not earn more than $1,000 for a period of at least 14 consecutive days within the initial four week period of your claim or $1000 in total for each subsequent claim.
- If you have more questions about CERB, The Government of Canada will outline further details about this program, announce them and update their website. Visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html