Federal Update: Prime Minister Extends CERB for 2 Months Quick facts
- The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) has been extended for two more months (8 weeks).
- This extension is meant to support those who are unable to go back to work even as local economies continue to reopen.
- CERB provides taxable payments of $2,000 per month.
- Recipients are still prodded to go back to work if possible and will be required to sign an attestation acknowledging that the government is encouraging them to look for work.
- The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may ask recipients to provide evidence at a later date to verify that they have been looking for prospects during the eligibility period(s) that they applied for.
- CERB recipients should keep active records of their job searches in any case.
- More details will be shared as they become available.
- Residents should check the Government of Canada's website regularly.
If you have questions about how to reapply for the CERB, please call the CRA at 1-833-966-2099.If you cannot apply via the CRA's My Account option (online), please call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. Click Here to Read More about the CERB Sources:Government of Canada: CERB Info & Application Page CBC News: Trudeau Extends CERBhttps://globalnews.ca/news/7075198/coronavirus-cerb-transition/