Provincial Update: Ontario Proposing Temporary Ban on Commercial Evictions The Ontario government has announced that it intends to help prevent commercial tenants from being locked out or having their assets seized by their landlords due to COVID-19.
- The proposed changes to the Commercial Tenancies Act would, if passed, temporarily halt evictions of businesses that are eligible for federal/provincial rent assistance.
- If passed, the this reverse evictions that occurred on or after June 3, 2020.
- In partnership with the federal government, Ontario is committing $241 million to the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small businesses, which is providing more than $900 million in support.
- CECRA provides forgivable loans to eligible commercial landlords to help cover 50 per cent of commercial rent for tenants (small businesses) for the months of April, May and June 2020.
- Tenants will be responsible for covering up to 25 per cent of rent, so that up to 75 per cent of the rent is covered.
- Tenants and landlords can learn how much they may be eligible for by visiting Ontario.ca/rentassistance.
- More updates to come.
For more information, please visit the Provincial Government's Newsroom.