With wet weather expected for tomorrow and into Thursday, the City of Toronto is advising everyone to take extra caution when travelling and to take steps to protect their property from basement flooding.Transportation Services and travel precautions
- Heavy rain is anticipated and with less daylight at this time of the year, visibility will be limited. Walk, bike and drive with caution.
- Motorists should drive with care and proceed slowly through areas of ponding, especially near sidewalks with pedestrians present.
- Transportation Services staff are working today to keep catch basins clear. Residents are asked to assist in cleaning catch basins on their streets if possible. With leaves falling at this time of year, catch basins often become clogged, which can result in street flooding and basement flooding.
Toronto Water and basement flooding· Toronto Water's storm readiness plan is in place. Crews are available 24/7 to respond to flooding calls. The City undertakes regular inspections, cleaning and maintenance of more than 10,000 kilometres of sewer pipes to ensure that the system operates well.
- Residents concerned about basement flooding should move their valuables to shelves or upper floors. Cleaning products, paint or chemicals should be taken off the floor so they do not contaminate potential floodwater.
- Clear leaves and other debris from eavestroughs and downspouts.
More basement flooding prevention tips, as well as information about programs and services available to residents, are available at http://www.toronto.ca/basementflooding.