The Prime Minister has announced new additional supports for seniors:
- Additional one-time payment of $300 for all recipients of Old Age Security (OAS).
- Additional one-time payment of $200 for all recipients of Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS).
- Those receiving both OAS and GIS will receive one-time payment of $500.
- The federal government is also investing $20M in the New Horizons for Seniors program to help improve the quality of life for those who are isolated during the pandemic.
- In the coming months, the federal government will help provinces find solutions to issues in long-term care facilities and seniors’ residences across the country.
- It's calculated automatically for those who are already receiving both/either benefits.
For more details:
- Please click here for Old Age Security Information.
- Please click here for Guaranteed Income Supplement Information.
- Please click here for a complete guide to the Old Age Security program.
See below for common terms used on the Government of Canada's websites: