Thank you for your effort, City staff will now consider heritage designation at 3100 Weston Rd.
Last week, I presented a motion to the City Council to request that the Chief Planner and Executive Director of City Planning begin the process of designating 3100 Weston Rd as a Heritage Site. The property at 3100 Weston Rd is a meaningful place for many individuals and families, especially as it includes the Carmine Stefano Community Centre, the Rivermede House, and the Marian Shrine of Gratitude. With over 1400 signatures from residents signing our petition, I am happy to share that there was unanimous support from the Mayor and all City Councillors in protecting this site.
More details can be found below.
In this newsletter, you can find:
- The motion of request to consider Heritage Designation at 3100 Weston Rd
- Community Consultation Meeting for 470 Sentinel Development
- FREE Teeth Cleaning and Exams
If you have any questions, please get in touch with me at 416 338 5335 or [email protected]. My team is here to support you.
Councillor Anthony Perruzza
Ward 7, Humber- River Black Creek
Food For the North Youth Farm Event
I attended the fantastic launch event of the Afri-Can Food Basket & City of Toronto's Confronting Anti-Black Racism Unit's Youth Farm Program on September 9th! Inspiring to see the commitment to sustainable urban agriculture and Black Food Sovereignty. Let's continue supporting this initiative for our community's future!
Rudy's 98th Birthday & Garden Celebration
Happy 98th Birthday to Rudy!
Over the weekend, we celebrated a remarkable community leader, Rudy, who has nurtured the beauty of the Huron Wendat Trail by the Black Creek. Rudy, your dedication to our community garden has blossomed like the flowers you've tended over the years.
City Council Update:
What does Anthony’s motion do?
Councillor Perruzza’s motion is the first step to the entire site at 3100 Weston Rd receiving a heritage designation. Staff in the City’s Heritage Division are still determining a timeline for how long the evaluation of 3100 Weston Road will take.
In the meantime, here is the process:
- The Councillor’s motion in September 2023, requests staff to prioritize the evaluation of 3100 Weston Road. That’s the very beginning of the process.
- Staff will research and evaluate the property to determine if it merits designation under the Ontario Heritage Act. To do so, a property must meet two of the provincial criteria stated in Regulation 9/06. This is a rigorous process, which people can learn more about here.
- If the property is determined to merit designation, a Staff report will be drafted to recommend its designation to the Toronto City Council. That report will provide evidence for why the property merits designation and will also define the heritage features (or attributes) of the property.
- The Staff report will first go to the Toronto Preservation Board, which provides advice to the City Council. Community members can submit letters or depute to the Toronto Preservation Board.
- After the Toronto Preservation Board, Staff reports recommending properties for designation go before the Planning and Housing Committee. Community members can submit letters or depute to the Planning and Housing Committee. If adopted by the Planning and Housing Committee, the Staff report and its recommendations will go to the Toronto City Council for consideration.
- If the Toronto City Council adopts the recommendation to designate a property, the property is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act.
- Following the Council’s decision to designate a property, the designation can still be appealed to the Ontario Land Tribunal, which will make a final decision on the matter.
After presenting the motion, I am happy to share that we received a unanimous vote from the City Council. You can watch my presentation to the Council here.
Thank you for your ongoing support and patience. If you haven’t had a chance to sign our petition yet, you can sign up here:
Community Meeting for the Development at 470 Sentinel Rd
Mark your calendars! On Tuesday, September 19th, there will be a community meeting regarding the development at 470 Sentinel Rd and 1-40 Fountainhead Rd. Your voice matters!
When: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Where: York Woods Library, 1785 Finch Ave W
More info: www.Toronto.ca/470SentinelRd
FREE Teeth Cleaning and Exams
PEACH teams up with Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries to offer FREE teeth Cleaning and Exams!
Book appointments on Tuesdays & Thursdays
Where: 28 Vanley Crescent
For details, contact Candia at 647-784-5835.
Don't miss out on this chance for a healthier smile!